What You Should Know
Having a career in real estate allows you to work with a more flexible schedule. You usually have the freedom to make school activities, go out of town for a day or two, and have flexibility in scheduling doctors’ appointments. This flexibility can sometimes be a two edged sword though, because in order to have a successful business you are going to have to work a lot of hours. This could mean working weekends, evenings, and holidays. It is possible to juggle your thriving real estate career and enjoy the holidays if you pay attention to these tips.
What to do
- Be available to your clients. You may have to show up on Christmas Eve to show a house, or close on one. That goes a long way in customer service in your client’s eye and they will remember that when it comes time to refer.
- Use your slow days to play catch up. With the hustle and bustle of your busy business, there isn’t always time to return emails and work on marketing ideas. Use this time when you aren’t working with clients to tackle those projects that have been hanging over your head.
- Schedule time to enjoy the holidays. This time is always full of events to attend. Put these on your calendar and make an effort to attend for at least a short time.
- Send holiday greetings to your clients. The holidays are the perfect time to reach out to your clients with a card or special note. This also will go a long ways in being referred by your clients.
What not to do
- Don’t assume that your clients know when you are spending time with your family. Be sure to communicate with your current clients your schedule during the holidays and when you are available.
- Don’t miss out on important family time. Being glued to your phone or computer when you’re away from your office does not make for the most valuable family time. Make a concerted effort to unplug and enjoy your precious family time.
- Try not to get distracted while you are working. It’s easy to get online and look for the perfect Christmas present when you should be working. Especially if you are working less hours, you will want those to be productive.
If you are a real estate agent, your reality is that work never stops. The most important thing to remember is there is a balance between work and home life. You can be successful at both